Trish Dowton and her husband, Stan, own and operate Dowton 3X Ranch, a commercial cow-calf operation in the Pahsimeroi Valley of East Central Idaho. A born and bred Idahoan, she grew up in the mountain town of Salmon, where she developed her lifelong interest in agriculture and animals. Naturally, she grew up eating finger steaks as well. “My dad refers to these as ‘Steak Fingers’!” she says. One of her key takeaways about Idaho Finger Steaks? “There are lot of different ways to make finger steaks and no one way is right or wrong,” she says.
• 2 lbs. tip steak or round steak
• 2 eggs
• 1 c. buttermilk
• 2 c. flour
• 4 Tbs. Montreal Steak Seasoning
• 1 Tbs. California Style Garlic Salt • Oil for deep fryer
1. Slice steak into strips ½” by 2-3” with the short cut across the grain of the meat.
2. Whisk eggs and buttermilk together. Combine flour and seasonings.
3. Doing about 1/3 pound at a time, dredge steak in flour mixture, then egg mixture, then back in flour mixture.
4. Place in hot fryer and cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
5. Serve with Cowboy Up Cocktail Sauce and JoJo oven fries!
• 1 c. ketchup • 3 Tbs. Worcestershire
• 2 Tbs. pure Horseradish
• 1 Tbs. lemon juice
• 1 tsp. Tabasco sauce
Recipe Source: Trish Dowton, Ellis, Idaho